Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A bit about JavaScript functions

Yesterday, I gave a talk about JavaScript functions in Vilanova i la Geltrú.

These are the talk slides.

The talk focused in introducing the following concepts:
  • Functions as first class entities
  • Closures
  • Higher-order functions

It was based on the readings I've done lately to learn JavaScript:

Here is the code of the examples used in the talk. Most of them were taken from Reginald Braithwaite's wonderful book. I also used an example from this other post of this blog: Strategy pattern and higher-order functions?.

I'm a shy person and it's difficult for me to talk in public but in the end I enjoyed the experience. I feel that trying to share what I've learned has improved my understanding of the topic.

I hope that the talk has somehow awaken a bit of interest for functional techniques in JavaScript among the attendants.

I'd like to thank you José Carlos for talking me into giving this talk to share what I have been learning lately about JavaScript functions and functional programming.

I'd also like to thank Edgar Costilla for letting us use Espai Feedback great facilities.

Finally, I'd like to thank the attendants for their interest and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment